There are million or more people across the world are sufferers to Anxiety Disorders, this disorder causes fear, distress and, at worst depression, despite being relatively curable. Among the many possible ways that people find useful in managing and dealing this condition is by the use of Anxiety medications.
Anxiety medications are very vital and useful in the treatment of the trite and most distressing of symptoms of anxiety disorders. One of their important factors is in reducing the effects of panic attacks and assisting people to achieve a higher level of control over the illness. Anxiety medication for treatment of anxiety related disorders are therefore only available under the doctors prescribed and none the less.
There are 2 Major class of anxiety medications include:
- Anxiolytics or anti-anxiety drugs
1. Anxiolytics or anti-anxiety drugs- These ones work by reducing the pressures caused by anxiety itself. They are quite effective and fast performing, Benzodiazepines are the most common type of anti-anxiety medication. Commonly used benzodiazepines for anxiety disorders include:
• Xanax (alprazolam)
• Valium (diazepam)
• Klonopin (clonazepam)
• Ativan (lorazepam)
They are habit forming especially when used over long periods of time. They may also have the negative impact on a person’s ability to stay awake over extended periods, hence result in the inability to carry out essential functions. They are therefore prescribed only for short-term use.
2. Antidepressants – Antidepressants popular among these class of anxiety medication are brand names include:
• Paxil or Brisdelle (paroxetine)
• Prozac or Sarafem (fluoxetine)
• Celexa (citalopram)
• Lexapro (escitalopram)
• Zoloft (sertraline)
They may also be used as a first line treatment of the symptoms of anxiety disorders. They are often-times prescribed together with anti-anxiety medications. These anti-depressants are commonly used for extended periods of time and are not as fast performing as anxiolytics in releasing their effect.
Furthermore, these medications can also help with depression. Though, this is, unfortunately, a common known side effect of anxiety disorder – Nausea, Reduced sexual desire, Weight gain or loss, Dry mouth, Headache, Drowsiness, Vomiting, Diarrhea etc.